Growing up in the south has instilled some deep southern culture in me. I say y’all, wear flip flops pretty much in any season, & love some hearty comfort food. For example, the quintessential southern dish, Shrimp & Grits, has been my favorite favorite dish ever since I learned to love grits.
(yes, I had to learn to love their gritty texture)
As our first married Christmas came upon us, I decided on a whim to try my hand at making Shrimp & Grits, my own way. & We decided to make Shrimp & Grits for breakfast will stay a Christmas tradition.
But since grits are ground up corn, and corn is not something we choose to eat anymore, I subbed that part out for white rice (which we have chosen as a safe starch for our lifestyle). If you’re in pursuit of a low carb alternative, feel free to sub that out for riced cauliflower or whatever fits your fancy. 🙂
Top the conglomeration with a fried egg, and call it a hearty comfort brekky!
Paleo Shrimp & Grits (makes 4 large servings)
*As I continue to improve my recipe writing, I encourage you to read through the entire recipe to ensure understanding before tackling this multistep recipe!*
- 1 # shrimp (or more if you’d prefer)
- 1 package Applegate bacon
- 2 organic chicken sausage links (the ones I chose were already fully cooked, the brand escapes me)
- 2 TBS coconut oil
- bone broth
- bacon fat (from the applegate bacon above),
- 1 C Otto’s Cassava Flour (as needed)
- 1 TBS poultry seasoning
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 Cups rice
- 3 Cups bone broth
- 1/4 Cup green onions for garnish
- 2-4 eggs, fried
- 4 TBS coconut oil (for cooking bacon)
- Fully cook rice following the preparation directions. Substitute bone broth for water. Set aside.
- In a large pan, cook 1/2 package of bacon. Place cooked bacon to side, then chop. Save fat for gravy.
- In a hot pot, melt the coconut oil. Reduce heat to simmer. Whisk in flour little by little until a small ball is formed. Then, whisk bone broth in until desired consistency is reached. Add bacon fat, poultry seasoning, & thyme. Stir. Add the chopped bacon and sliced sausage into the gravy. let simmer.
- Cook the other 1/2 package of bacon. Place cooked bacon to side then chop for garnish.
- Cook shrimp in bacon grease!
- Then in the same pan as you cooked the shrimp, fry your eggs.
- Plate up rice, Gravy, Shrimp, bacon, green onions, fried egg(s). Top with sriracha if desired.
This dish definitely started our first married christmas off on a scrumptious note! I look forward to keeping this tradition on and sharing it with others for years to come! ❤
Merry Christmas from the DeLucchi’s!