Today, along with meal prep, music discovery for class, and a laundry fiasco, and my first Fantasy Football draft at 6pm, I figured by the time it got around to dinner, I’d be wiped… So I whipped out the crock pot, and some chicken breasts and was ready to spice those puppies up. Now, choosing spices is always something of habit for me… always reaching for the same ones, which gets boring after a while. So today, I decided to choose some that I rarely use: Turmeric, ginger, & cardamom.
Turmeric & ginger are known for their ‘superfood’ qualities their claim to fame can be attributed to curry dishes and middle eastern foods. Turmeric is what gives curry dishes the yellowish orange coloration and is also known for being an antioxidant. Together, ginger and turmeric are widely known in the natural healing realm as remedies for gastrointestinal problems, suppress inflammation, and may have anti-cancer properties. If you want to read more about all the cool stuff about turmeric and ginger, go here.
Then, I Googled to make sure cardamom would be an alright accompaniment with turmeric and ginger here. Thankfully, all 3 do compliment each other nicely, and some references I found said it elicits a taste similar to fall… Which completely sealed the deal for me. #basicwhitegirlstatus
As the draft looms closer and closer, I’ll cut the crap and give you the recipe! 😉 I hope you enjoy!
Crockpot Whole Chicken Breasts: Turmeric, Ginger, & Cardamom
2 Whole Chicken Breasts (bone in)
3 TBS ghee (or coconut oil)
2 tsp black pepper
1 tsp turmeric
1 tsp ginger
1 tsp cardamom
Red Pepper Flakes (to taste, I used 2 tsp)
Mediterranean Sea Salt liberally
- Remove chicken breasts from refrigerator, dry them off, and allow them to come to room temperature.
- In a mixing bowl, combine ghee, turmeric, ginger, red pepper flakes, cardamom, & pepper into a paste.
- Salt LIBERALLY, both sides of the chicken breasts.
- Using half of the spiced ghee paste, smear it under the skin of the chicken breast and over the top of the skin as well. Repeat on the other chicken breast. Place in crockpot.
- Cook chicken breasts in the crock pot on LOW for 4-6 hours or until fluid runs clear when you slice into the thickest part of the breast.
- Plate and enjoy!
We ate ours with roasted maple cinnamon acorn squash and a side salad with micro greens & brussels topped with balsamic vinegar salt and pepper. Interested in the recipe for the acorn squash that tasted like DESSERT? Sign up for my email list! I’ll be sharing exclusive recipes, promo codes, and more in my bi-montly emails! Best part, you’ll NEVER get any spam. PROMISE! Click here to sign up!