Yes, you read that correctly… Crock Pot COFFEE pulled pork. The idea stemmed from leftover brewed coffee from our french press that has been accumulating in our fridge, and I decided to do something with it. Plus, I figured, everything tastes better cooked in the crock pot. 😉 My thoughts were that the acidity in the coffee would act similarly to apple cider vinegar and create tenderized pork… and I was right. 🙂
So, without much further ado, I’ll get straight into the recipe!
Crock Pot Coffee Pulled Pork
what you need:
3 thick cut pork chops (the ones I used were about 1.5 inches thick)
1.5 Cups Brewed coffee of choice (I used full force caffeinated coffee)
1/2 Large yellow onion, sliced (into 4 slices)
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp parsley
1 TBS garlic powder
1 TBS cumin
1 TBS salt
1 TBS pepper
3 medium sized sweet potatoes
- Coat pork chops liberally with all spices
- Place pork chops, fat side up, in crock pot with onion slices between each chop. Placing them with the fat side up allows the flavorful fat to drip over the rest of the pork chop while cooking.
- Pour coffee into bottom of crock pot.
- Wrap sweet potatoes in foil and place over top of pork.
- Cook on LOW for 4-6 hours, or until pork is fully cooked.
- Once finished, take sweet potatoes out then using a hand mixer or standing mixer, shred the pork.
- Cut open sweet potato, top with butter, pulled pork, optional BBQ sauce of choice, and coleslaw (recipe below) and ENJOY!!
Coleslaw (slightly sautéed!)
what you need:
2 cups chopped green cabbage
1/2 large yellow onion, diced
1 cup carrots, chopped or shredded
3/4 cup mayo
2 TBS coconut oil
- In a large skillet, melt coconut oil then sautee onions until almost transparent. Once almost transparent, add cabbage.
- Sautee in pan until cabbage starts to get slightly crisped and browned on the edges.
- In a mixing bowl, combine carrots, cabbage, onions, salt, pepper and mayo.
If you make this dish, feel free to leave a review! Or, if you instagram it, use the hashtag: #paleoptimistic !!