Like 95% of the human population, I am a zombie until I’ve had my morning coffee. Some nights I go to bed dreaming of my morning cup of french press Cafe Bustelo, black…. I may have a slight problem. I also enjoy cappuccinos, but after giving up dairy, I haven’t been able to have one… until I came across this ‘Bulletproof Coffee’ goodness.
Are you interested in amping up your coffee game in the morning? Maybe saving some money and not going to the infamous Coffee Shop every morning on your way to work? Are you dairy-free and looking for a cappuccino substitute?
That’s what I’m here for–To help you hack your morning cup ‘o joe and rev up your home brewed coffee by making it ‘Bulletproof’!
Now, I didn’t come up with this or name it bulletproof, but I did decide to make some easier way that I won’t need to dirty a whole bunch of measuring devices and get a bunch of things out in the morning while I’m a zombie, pre-coffee.
Before we get into the recipe, here’s some important facts about bulletproofing your coffee:
- The premise of this Bulletproof Coffee is to get a good dose of healthy fats from unsalted butter from grass-fed cows and then also from the added MCT (Medium Chain Triglycerides) oil. If you don’t want to track down MCT oil, you can use Coconut oil. (read about the difference between the two, here)
- Using grass-fed butter is key! (I used ghee which I made from Kerrygold Unsalted Butter)
- Use cold pressed, unrefined coconut oil!
- Use your favorite coffee/tea prepped in your favorite way. YES! You can use tea too!
[Pre-workout] consider using a healthy source of fat: Medium Chain Triglycerides (MCTs). The benefits are numerous, and especially advantageous for those looking to increase fat oxidation during the workout. This study, published in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, showed that consumption of MCTs as part of a weight loss plan improved overall weight loss. After ingestion of MCTs, the free fatty acid levels are raised, and more available to be used as energy. Supplementing with MCTs pre workout is therefore a terrific option for those on low carbohydrate diets looking for pre-workout energy and increased fat loss. You can get your MCTs in via coconut oil, MCT oil supplements, or even quality coconut milk products. Add in a small amount of BCAAs or whey protein, and caffeine for a boost that will keep you fueled up while aiding you in staying lean.
Who doesn’t want help waking up in the morning as well as getting rid of some of that extra fat they have?!
Now, let’s get down into what you need and how you need to prep your bulletproof beverage!
Bulletproof Coffee (or Tea!) ‘Meltaways’ (recipe makes 12 meltaways)
what you need:
1/2 cup coconut oil, melted
1/4 cup unsalted butter or ghee, spooned out in 1 tsp portions
what to do:
- Spoon 1 tsp butter/ghee into each section of your mold.
- Melt coconut oil, then put 2 tsp coconut oil into each section of your mold, pouring overtop of the butter/ghee.
- Place your mold into the freezer and allow meltaways to solidify.
- Once solid, pop out of mold and store in the freezer in a tupperware container.
To make Bulletproof Coffee:
- Brew your favorite coffee/tea your favorite way! (8-10 ounces)
- Using a blender or food processor, blend your coffee and 1 meltaway for 10-15 seconds. Your coffee should now look frothy like a cappuccino!
Coconut Oil Drops for your fur-kids!
Now… While you’re making these meltaways for your morning coffee, you could also make some coconut oil drops for your pup or kitten too!
Turns out that coconut oil can help aid pets’ digestion, improve their coats, help prevent infection and more. Carnivorous animals like cats and dogs would have consumed a high amount of saturated fat in the wild and the beneficial fats in coconut oil are a great way to make sure they are getting enough in their diets.
The recommended dose is pretty easy; just give a teaspoon of coconut oil per 10 pounds of dog, or you can give a tablespoon per 30 pounds. BUT, if I were you, I’d slowly work up to the full ‘dose’ for your fur-kid. You can do this daily or as a ‘treat’. Totally up to you! 🙂
Prep your silicone mold the same way we did for the meltaways, but leave out the ghee/butter. Freeze to let them solidify, then pop them into your fur-kid’s food in the morning! Great for their brains and their coats will be super silky shiny! Sully enjoys licking the spoon after I’m done scooping out coconut oil. 🙂
I hope you enjoyed your bulletproof coffee, and your fur-kids enjoyed their coconut oil drops!