John and I are doing a Spartan workout tomorrow and I wanted to make sure to bring snacks for afterwards so we wouldn’t be tempted to go out to eat. What else would I bring than granola?!
In The 21 Day Detox Guide Book, by Diane Sanfilippo, she has an awesome recipe for grain-free banola which uses bananas… However, green tipped bananas are on the limit list and I don’t want to max out my fruits for the day like that… So, I decided to use the energy modification (a sweet potato) in our post workout fuel! Go figure, right?
Here’s the recipe…
Grain-Free Sweet Potat-ola
What you need:
2 cups whole or halved nuts of choice (I chose almonds)
1 cup slivered or sliced almonds
1/2 cup seeds of choice (I did 1/4 cup chia seeds and 1/4 cup pumpkin seeds)
1/2 cup almond meal or other nut meal
1 cup puréed sweet potato (I diced and boiled mine then mashed them)
2 tsp pure vanilla extract
2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg (optional)
1/4 tsp salt
What to do:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. In food processor, pulse whole or halved nuts until they are partially ground and partially in small chunks. Pour the nuts into a large mixing bowl then stir in the slivered almonds, seeds, and almond meal.
3. Purée liquid ingredients, sweet potato and spices.
4. Combine sweet potato mixture into nut mixture, stirring until nuts are well covered.
5. Pour nut mixture onto a parchment lined baking sheet.
6. Bake for 30-35 min, checking every 10 to break up chunks and turn.
7. Remove from oven and let cool, uncovered. Or turn off the oven and let it continue to dehydrate as the oven cools.
Store in refrigerator for up to a week. Enjoy it plain for a fueling snack, or with milk of choice as cereal!
Yum yum! It was so good and I’m glad I thought of this adaptation! Enjoy!